Teach Mate is a reader supported website. If you purchase using a link on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This doesn’t cost you anything.
So, let’s say you want to build a music website, either to get your music out there or to sell other people’s music. Well, you’ve come to the right place! Today I’m going to show you how to get a music site up and running, how to make money from that website, and how to generally make your site a success!
So be sure to read this whole guide till the end and put into practice what you learn. We’ll have your website up in no time! 😉
How To Create A Music Site Within 10 Minutes
Setting up your core music site is actually pretty easy, follow these step-by-step instructions to have your website ready in under 10 minutes:
- Click to visit JustHost, the hosting company which you’ll put your website on.
- Go to the Get Started Now button and click it.
- Pick the Basic plan if you’re creating one site, or Plus plan if you want to make more.
- Type the website name you want, for example MyMusicMagic.com. Click Next.
- Add your details, choose a plan of 12 months or more to save money, then click ‘Submit’. Note: you can deselect any ‘Package Extras’.
- Next, you’ll need to add WordPress. Find & click ‘Install WordPress’.
- Go step by step through the instructions. We’ll sort your themes & plugins later, so don’t select these.
- Next go to ‘Domains’, then ‘Manage’, then ‘Security’, then toggle ‘Domain Privacy’ to on. This will stop people seeing your personal info.
You rock my friend! You’ve set up a fully functional music site in just a few minutes; fans are truly going to be digging it. 🙂 Once the above is done, you’re ready to move on to picking the design of your website.
The Best Music Website Themes That Are Simple To Use
So now you have your website up and running, the next step is to make it look nice with a theme. There are lots to choose from, ranging from around $45 – $70. I would compare which ones to buy on sale, but there’s already a very good list over here that you can check out.
Be sure to get a good theme so you site looks fully professional.
What Features Should You Include When Building A Music Site?
The features you include when making a music site will really depend on what kind of site you’re creating. If you’re making a digital download site for example, you’ll want to include a easy to use downloading structure. When people visit these sites, they want a easy to use and fast service. If there’s lots of obstacles in their way or it takes long to get their music, they’ll end up using another service.
If you’re a musician looking to promote their music, you’ll want to ensure that this website is your home on the internet. You’ll want to have your videos, pictures, bio and the like all on your site. Make this the place to go for all information about you before anywhere else.
If you’re creating a music advice blog, you’ll want to cover the kind of advice people in the music business will want to read and learn about. Sites like this one on songwriting do a good job of this, so check that out for examples of how to create an advice website.
If you’re making a different kind of music site and want advice for what you can include in it, let me know in the comments and I’ll add more specific features which could work for you.
How To Make Money From Music Websites
So now on to the fun part: how to make money from a music website. How you make money will depend on what exactly your website’s about.
For Music Download Websites
If you have a music download website, there are a few ways to make money from it:
- Selling the music you have available for download. If you’re using other people’s songs, be sure to get permission from them and a contract in place to make it fully legit.
- Make money from advertizing. If you website will get a lot of page views, this is one way to make money form this site.
- Use incentive based downloads. This is where people need to take a action in order to download your songs. So for example, before being able to download a tune, they’ll have to fill in a short questionnaire. There are websites which make this possible.
But what about if you’re a musician? Well, in that case making money from your website is that bit more straight forward. Of course, you’re the product. Because of this you’ll want to sell your music, your tickets for gigs, and maybe even a membership area on your website. You may also want to sell any merchandise you make. Basically, anything to do with you and your brand.
Whichever path you choose, there is money to be made from making music websites. So make sure you build yours today.
Best Ways To Get Visitors To Your Music Site
So now that your site is up and running, the next step it to drive traffic to that site. After all, your visitors are the people who will end up making you the money, so it’s important you put the work in to get them.
If you want to learn how to drive traffic to your music site, you’ll want to check this guide I’ve written.